Welcome to St. Elizabeth Health Center School for Nurse Anesthetists, Inc.
The St. Elizabeth Health Center School for Nurse Anesthetists, Inc. was established in 1947. Since that time, the Program has maintained full accreditation by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, 222 South Prospect Avenue, Park Ridge, IL 60068-4010, (847) 692-7050, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education (USDE).
The Program is affiliated with Youngstown State University, One University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44555, (330) 941-3092, accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504, (800) 621-7040. Upon successful completion of the 27-month Program, a Master of Science in Nursing degree is awarded. Constant supervision of students is maintained by CRNAs and staff anesthesiologists from Bel-Park Anesthesia Associates, Inc. Graduates of the Program are eligible to sit for the Certification exam by the Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists. Once certified, the individual must apply to the Ohio State Board of Nursing to obtain a Certificate of Authority to practice as an Advanced Practice Nurse if they intend to practice in the State of Ohio.
St. Elizabeth Health Center School for Nurse Anesthetists, Inc. is a community of anesthesia practitioners who intend to motivate and empower students to education through teaching, mentoring, and collaborating in an environment of personal interest and caring. The School community develops in students a sense of self-worth and future opportunity that compels them to make a positive impact on our society.
The School shares common goals with Humility of Mary Health Partners and Youngstown State University by striving to promote an environment that encourages academic excellence and quality of service for all members of our community.
The core values of compassion, excellence, human dignity, justice, sacredness of life, and service are essential in the practice of nurse anesthesia for all patients entrusted to our care.
Our mission and philosophy parallels the Direction Statement set forth by Humility of Mary Health Partners. Humility of Mary Health Partners will be the preferred regional provider delivering exceptional health care services, meeting needs, and exceeding expectations.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCHOOL FOR NURSE ANESTHETISTS
St. Elizabeth Health Center School for Nurse Anesthetists, Inc. is designed to educate the Critical Care Registered Nurse with a BSN to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), Advanced Practice Nurse, who can administer anesthesia in a variety of practice settings to all patients requiring anesthesia care.
The scope of practice includes preoperative assessment, intraoperative conduct of anesthesia, and postoperative management of surgical and obstetrical patients as well as individuals requiring anesthesia for diagnostic and therapeutic non-surgical procedures.
1) To create an educational environment, the essence of which is intellectual honesty, trust, integrity, and respect for each other.
2) To provide graduate students in nurse anesthesia with the necessary knowledge and competence to practice anesthesia. Students are encouraged to adopt fundamental values to include:
- the integration of theory and application
- the continuation of learning throughout life
- a concern for ethical issues
- a regard for the worth and quality of work
3) To prepare graduate students to be advanced practice nurses in the profession of nurse anesthesia and to provide a foundation for doctoral study through:
- curriculum, which combines the principles and practice of anesthesia with the examination of the application of skills in the practice setting
- the design of research projects
4) To promote student growth in leadership activities.